Tuesday, September 29, 2009

ERIC/WorldCat

The topic I decided to research is the criteria used to select award winning books. The reason I chose this topic is because I have always wanted to know why or how the award winning books were selected and why others were not.

I too followed the example and used ERIC first. I typed in “criteria used for award winning books.” Using the keyword searched, I received 17 records in all.
Here is one


A Caldecott Committee at Work.
Author: Stewig, John Warren Source: Book Links v8 n4 p15-18 Mar 1999 Doc. Type: Article (EJ) Accession No: EJ586329 Libraries Worldwide: 1545 TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIV LIBR See more details for locating this item

Then I typed in “criteria used for award winning books.” I selected abstract and received four records. I noticed that my topic was narrowed down but was very specific about which award, example Newbery , Caldecott. What was interesting was the record above did not appear in the abstract search.
The record I chose :

A Guide to Newbery Medal Winners and Honor Books, 1977-1984.
Access ERIC: FullText Author: Kinman, Judith R.; Henderson, Darwin L. No. of Pages: 38
Document: Document (ED)
Accession No: ED249536 See more details for locating this item

I then used WorldCat typing in the phrase “criteria used for award winning books.” Using keyword search and received one record. But not really what I was looking for.

A descriptive study of how African Americans are portrayed in award winning African American children's picture books from 1996-2005
http://library.msstate.edu/etd/show.asp?etd=etd-03302006-101045
Author: Ussery, Susie Robin, 1962- Publication: Mississippi State : Mississippi State University, 2006
Dissertation: Thesis (Ph.D.) -- Mississippi State University. Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 1

I then did the Boolean search typed in “book” and “award winning” and “criteria” and received four records.

Database of award-winning children's literature
http://www.dawcl.com/awards.html
Author: Bartle, Lisa R. Publication: Lisa R. Bartle 2000-?
Document: English : Internet Resource Computer File
Libraries Worldwide: 3
More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options ...

No comments:

Post a Comment